Monday, February 15, 2010

Week 3: The John Nelson Weight Loss Challenge



Week three, and this is John's report:

This week was a tough one. I'm actually proud that I didn't gain any weight this week; rather than lose 5 like I had planned. But with the weather locking me indoors almost all of the time, a dog that is limping a lot so I had to take him to the vet today, a worried wife asking about the creaks in the roof that may signal a cave in, doing my taxes, and breaking my back on 30 inches of powder made heavy by my aging back, my appetite kept reasonably quiet. Follow that up with yesterday's valentines day celebration, surrounded by candy, cakes and dinner at a fancy restaurant, the week was hell. I never got out to exercise unless you count the endless shoveling and walks through the three feet of snow. And I never got on the trainer that much (about and hour) due to my back killing me from shoveling. Still, after all that, I remained at 323.

Now, to most that may seem like a bad thing. But to me, the seven pounds last week was a step over, and this week puts me about three pounds under my two week goal. Week three promises to be a good one, seeing that I'll be able to work out again, since my back is OK now, and we are going back to work. Sitting at home without much to do and a worried look on my face is a big time way to gain a few pounds. Especially when surrounded by the familiar, and you know the route to the fridge well enough to do it unconsciously. But, when I did find myself in front of an open fridge door, I only poured water into a glass and walked away. That, in itself, is a big deal for someone on a diet. I didn't break down and surrender to the urges. I kept the calories low enough to maintain what I had and I am able to start this week with an obtainable goal of five to eight more pounds.

I won't lie to you. This is hard for me. I was thinking the other day that I haven't crossed 300 in about 10 years now. I'm not as able to just pick up my bike and ride like some of you, since my responsibilities have changed since my youth. So this endeavor is somewhat difficult for me and for folks like me. Nevertheless, that challenge has stoked my fire. That, and the thought that your donations can do something good. I have to fight off urges. I have to drink water when the hunger swells up inside me. I have to get on the bike when the feelings of laziness overwhelm me. And I need to get up from the couch, turn off the bad news that snow covers the riding routes around here, and figure out a way to burn off the calories.

We just found out that the stage in the Tour of California that Kevin and I were going to ride will indeed be going to Big Bear. Miles of uphill climbs at 14 to 19 percent. Brutal even at the pro standard. That is my "reward" for loosing weight this season. The ability to climb to big bear will be very cool and very emotional I figure. If I can train and drop enough loose baggage, that climb will indeed be a reward. This big bear has the goal of defeating the California Big Bear. So I'll need to get into fighting shape.

See you next week, below the 320 line.

3 comments:

Doreen Hall said...

Our bodies should naturally want to avoid getting overfat, but our hormonal control of that has become compromised by an eating style that prevents the body from operating normally and avoiding excess fat accumulation and poor health.

qualia said...

Way to stay positive, John. ToC is going to be awesome, and so is being comfortable riding your bike.

I know what you mean about the route to the fridge. I'll be working out an idea when I suddenly find myself staring into an open refrigerator. No memory of how I got there. I doubt our Paleolithic ancestors ever "came to" in front of a deer they'd just unconsciously stalked and killed.

Keep it up!

Wendy said...

Keep you the great work you are doing John & keep looking toward the future. It is a very difficult battle & I give you so much credit for doing it! I look forward to reading more about your adventures.