Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Post-Yet Uppers

Sometimes it feels like...

...there's really no refuge from the noise...



...there's no reason to keep racing...

...your dreams are definitely out of reach...

...people in cars really are all homicidal conspirators bent on persecution of cyclists...


Motorist Road Rage on DC Bicycle Route from Evan Wilder on Vimeo.

...that the world really will end in fire, as the ice melts...

And it's all a bummer.  It really can be a bummer.

You have to counter it with an all-important conjunction:  the but or the yet that turns things around.

As in Shakespeare:

Yet in these thoughts my self almost despising,

Haply I think on thee, and then...


But it's not just one thing.  Here's what Pap has gotten around to learning:  we don't just need one thing to keep us going; we need a bag or two of what follows that yet.

We need...

...someone or even a few people...

...a beautiful bike...

...a thoughtful film...

...a way to build our curiosity about the Cosmos...

...and a way to forget the stuff before the conjunction.

The things that keep us going are often things that help us forget the noise.  The things that follow that depressing first part of the sentence, I'll call the "post-yet uppers."

Cycling is a wonderful post-yet upper for me.  It is, usually, a quieting act.  It draws me out into the world and draws the noise of the world out of me.

I miss it, but thankfully I'm missing it because I've got an even better thing to drown out the noise of the world: a baby, which, I understand, is unmatched in terms of volume.

There are lots of ways to meet what David Foster Wallace called the "howling fantods."  The ways we finish that sentence, how we follow that all important yet--isn't ever set.  It keeps changing.  I have to think that it's not just luck; that, with effort, we can rack up things that matter on that side.  I have to think I'm not just at the mercy of the universe.

Yet, maybe I am?

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

And yet, I will race again. Not this weekend, maybe not the next one, but certainly soon. With the highs must come the lows; otherwise you're flat-lined and where's the fun in that?

Kevin Cross said...

Thanks, L. Hilly roads--even figurative ones--really are better.

dj cyclone said...

Yessir Pappy. The hell hounds the howling wind the great beyond the unknowns, void - human condition cosmos eternity universe and so on. Big blocks of reality we form mind systems to either avoid or define. In one way or another ALL diversionary as in reactionary/necessary. No matter the clothe no matter the texture. Diversionary philosophy and understanding, each one serving the same function as the next even when the ingredients are disparate. And more then that. They clash. All the time. Cultures clans strands and man. Overlap then split. Science activities religions cults beliefs . Diverting in unison, to survive, but each (unfortunately or by default) moving in separate lanes. Somehow, for now, it keeps going.
And we ride Pappy...

dj cyclone said...

Ahhhhh. I forgot ART the finest one once we have our food and shelter establlished ! Steady rollin soldier.