Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Bike Fit Comparison

Click to enlarge









Before being fit, I'd had trouble finding a comfortable position on my TT bike. First, I couldn't generate anything close to the power I could generate on my road bike. Second, my taint felt bad, really bad, after a few minutes of riding.

I'd assumed that, because the UCI prohibits forward seat positions, that there must be some kind of aerodynamic position to a forward position. For that reason, I'd purchased a set-forward seatpost. I also assumed that, the more forward my position, the more weight would be on my arms, the less on my taint, the happier I'd be.

I'd also bought an ISM saddle to deal with the taint issue.

Doing my fit was Scott Epsley, a physio with Georgetown who has worked extensively with Australian professional cyclists. He's known particularly for rehabilitating Australia's five-time national time trial champion.

Scott immediately removed my seatpost and ISM saddle. He threw on my old Sella San Marco and moved it backwards. He also flipped my stem to lift my bars.

In short, in my new position, seen on the right, I sit a good distance further back. And although my arms are slightly higher, my back is actually lower because my arms are more extended.

Results:

Foremost, I'm comfortable. I've done several rides, some over two hours long, and so far my taint has been unperterbed.

Because the position more closely resembles my road position, I put out more power and my pedal stroke feels more natural.

I feel lower and more aerodynamic, and the numbers seem to suggest I've gained a little bit of speed.

The lesson: position is a complex thing, and getting a fit, or at least being open to changing your position, may improve your experience on the bike and maybe even your ability to produce offspring.

6 comments:

Tim Rugg said...

Looking forward to drinks tonight, so I can tell you in person how ugly your TT bike is.

mudd the first said...

"drinks"? how very bourgeois.

Rollin' Polish said...

Just read this and thought you might be interested in this article since you seem to nerd out on stuff like I do: http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/08/ironman-triathlon-position-how-marketing-overcame-some-peoples-reality/

Was that you with the disc at Haines? I figured it probably was- seat height looked low did it actually decrease or how was it moved?

Rollin' Polish said...

A good addendum to the first article: http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/07/tt-rider-rod-and-bikefitter-discuss-the-secret-of-speed/

Calvini said...

Yeah, Rollin, that was me. The Hogg articles are greatt--some stuff in there I learned the hard way.

Rollin' Polish said...

That disc must be rough coming up the north side with those cross winds. Hows the power looking post fit (what kind of improvements are you seeing?).

I'm looking to setup a TT bike this year so I'm trying to do some homework on positioning. I'm usually within 5%-8% of my road power in my ghetto super dork clip on position so I'm looking to improve upon that a bit.