Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Capital Bike Share Pseudo-Circuit Race: 2011


As cyclists in the greater DC area, we're lucky. We're members of great teams that put on great races and support the sport in countless ways, we have access to great local bike shops, and we live in a great city that supports bike infrastructure and that recently brought us a bike-sharing system. Every time I sit down with a view of the streets, I start counting the dorks on bike red Capital Bike Share beasts, and I'm happy. This is becoming a city of people, mostly looking dorky, on big, heavy, sturdy, well-maintained and easily accessed bikes.

As a kind of celebration of this program, I thought maybe those of us in the racing community could do something to not only give back a little to the Capital Bike Share folks, but have a little fun on the CBS beasts.

Ladies (are there any out there?) and gentlemen, I give you the 2011 Capital Bike Share Big Red Beast Hains Point Pseudo-Race.

I'm not sure how this will play out, but I can picture it in my head:

50+ cyclists in full skinsuits OR some combination of bibshorts/shirtlessness and/or aero helmet-ness. Casual clothes not allowed! Everyone on Capital Bike Share big red beasts.

At Hains.

Thursday night.

Mass peleton spinning out at 180rpms. Attacks. Sprinting. Maybe a prize or two.

I'm thinking early May.

If successful, maybe a hill stage in Rock Creek.

Thoughts?

10 comments:

Tim Rugg said...

Pre-register me please.

Chas Offutt said...

Count me in.

Nick said...

the opportunities for liability are delightfully endless

Too Slow said...

Further incentive to haul balls (or lady parts): you start amassing additional charges after the first 30 mins.

Drew Armstrong said...

The Philly Phlyer did something like this, but official, and with Brompton Folding Bikes (sp?). And you had to wear a suit. It was pretty awesome. I'm wondering if bikeshare would be willing to sponsor an all-comers on-bikeshare bikes race at the cap crit...

stearns said...

i'm in.

Lindsay said...

Sign me and my lady parts up, please.

Greg said...

when a date is set, give enough warning for everyone to sign up for membership please, this will be a blast.

tome said...

Drew, that's exactly what I've been muttering to myself for months. Seeing ruggles on a crappy bike riding shortness would be nothing knew. But seeing VdV so it would be pretty dope.

Drew Armstrong said...

I know some people. I'll see what I can do...