Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Dark Matter and the Silent but Deadly

With school and work, lately I've been too busy to ride. That doesn't stop me from thinking about cycling and watching the last five minutes of Tom Boonen pummeling it at Roubaix.

It's hard to say why, except I can feel myself being tugged, like stars and planets must feel the invisible tug of dark matter's gravity. Where are you coming from and why am I drawn to you?

I mean, I'd be better off not riding--working hard, making more money, and studying more. But I feel the pull, and even if I'm not riding, I'm thinking of riding.

From what I understand, dark matter is "hypothetical matter undetectable by its emitted radiation, but whose presence can be inferred from gravitational effects on visible matter." Dark matter is the unseen pull. Dark matter is the unstated but felt. Dark matter is the silent but deadly one that the petite girl in cubicle four could not possibly have unleashed. Dark matter is the thing that gives those of us with not-so-hot regular matter hope--sure, I'm ugly and poor, but she'll love me for my dark matter.

Dark matter is also the thing we pray to, we cyclists, to help us overcome the pull of regular ol' matter. Please, we say, let something come along and overcome this force, let me float along on wings, let me ride away in ease, pulled along by some unseen string that reaches out to me, and no one else.

No comments: